Monday, June 22, 2009

Update on Blackie

June 22nd: Blackie is getting stronger every time I feed him (or her). That is every hour from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. If I don't go out on the hour I hear him calling me to go and bring the food.

Here is a video of Blackie after a snack. He is nice and quiet after eating, not the screaming banshee he is when he is hungry. I came home yesterday to find him on my deck railing screaming at the sliding glass door. Even at this young age he knows where the food comes from but once fed wants nothing to do with me. That is how it should be. Once he can fly he can follow his parents.



June 24th: I spent all day, yesterday, chasing Blackie through willow brush swamp, half scaling dead trees and scooping him out of high branches with a butterfly net. He was testing his wings to hop/fly higher and higher. Thank goodness he is quietly sitting on a dead stump today and I am teaching him to come to me at feeding times. This will take awhile since he only walks a few feet closer. I am using food as incentive. I hope that he will be able to come down out of a tree for food soon. The parents get highly upset when they see him in a butterfly net!

Pam

No comments: