Friday, September 11, 2009

Another Brittany Spaniel pup.

This is Dakota, a Brittany Spaniel pup from a litter at "Sharptail Brittany's".

Step 1:

After loosely drawing in the outline, I painted the background with india ink. I work at my computer desk for these smaller works and that leaves my big easel free to work on a second painting at the same time.

Step 2:

I covered the black ink with black coloured pencil and merged the layers with odourless paint thinner. Now I am adding colour to the pup with colour pencil. The shapes will get corrected as I continue.

Step 3:

Adding a collage colour pencil marble to the picture. I just have to decide on a placement.

I think I like the second placement better. It gives the illusion that you are lying on the floor with the puppy looking past the marble.

Step 4:

A change.... I've had a request to change the marble to a ball which is more appropriate for a puppy, so here is the start.


I need to spray it with fixative and let it dry before I continue.

Step 5: Finishing with the colour pencils, I will switch media again, to watercolour this time. There is an isolation layer on the paper so the different mediums don't mix. Here is a preview of how the frame will look.

The ball will be brighter red.

Step 6:
The first coat of watercolour on the ball and a little on the pup. I want the ball to dry so I can continue.



Step 7: Working on the pup now.

I'm done, step 8:

I finished the pup, gave the background a slight texture, signed my name on the ball and varnished it.


Pam

No comments: