Saturday, July 01, 2006

Back to the grindstone.

Peace and quiet, time to paint. :) The long weekend in July is a quiet time in my house. Everyone is away or busy and this gives me a lot of time to study, paint and be with my own thoughts.

I'm finishing up the "Portrait of a Fisherman". The steps would be too detailed to post here and you wouldn't be able to see many changes. I'll just show the finished product. I will also show the finished paintings of "Dixie in the Field" and "Gunner" as soon as the last parts are painted.
_________________________
I have two new paintings to begin. The first one is a 20 pound carp swimming in green algae laden water. Here is the photo reference.

I'll have to add my own details so you can see the carp head and have it more centered in the canvas. Right now it looks like it is swimming off the page. :)
_______________________

The next painting will be a landscape triptych (3 panels, one painting). This might be interesting for you to watch because I am doing things a little different.

The first thing I am doing a little differently is I am using a coloured light brown canvas as a base and I am stretching the canvas myself to 3 different size frames. There will be 2 thinner side panels and a wider center panel. The canvas will be primed with a brown coloured gesso, that I mix myself, to prime the canvas to give it archival quality. The gesso will match the colour of the original canvas. That way, should you happen to pick up the painting or examine the back, the base colour will be the same.

The next thing I am doing a bit different is I am using 4 different photo references to make 3 panels within one painting. Here is what the finished painting may look like. It is just a reference for me to use while painting and I can change things for the better as I go along.

Here are the 4 photos and I can explain how I used these in the final image.

The first one is used in the bottom of the left panel (panel #1).

This next photo is (almost) the whole large center panel (panel #2), all except the small left piece.

In this photo, just a small portion of water and rocks is used in the third panel.

This fourth photo is really cut up. I have used the whole left side in the panel #3 but have moved around the tree root and three other rocks to make up the panel.

Also, the top right-hand corner has been stolen to use as the top of panel #1. (Look back at that panel.)

I hope that I can do this painting justice. I look forward to using loose brushstrokes as this is a large painting, 60" wide!

Thanks for watching.

Pam

Website

No comments: