Saturday, August 11, 2007

November art show.

So.....I have to create two pieces of work to hang in our November exhibition at Northern College.

I have to do one self-portrait (already started) and create another piece that shows what inspires me (can be inspired by words from a poem or music). The name of the show will be, "Artist and Inspiration".

The self portrait won't be hard, it's already started, about 1/2 done, painted from life using a mirror.



My painting desk and table easel will be in the background with the "Inspiration" piece in progress on the easel. I have to find the perfect inspiration piece to match the poem I have chosen.

FRIENDS IN THE FOREST

by Bernard Freeman Trotter, 1906 in Wolfville.

Second Lieutenant, Eleventh Leicesters, Killed in Action, in France, May 7, 1917.
.

Give me no crowded city,

When my heart is lone, and sad,

With its countless thronging thousands.--

The tumult would drive me mad.

.

In the throbbing life of the city,

Who cares for another's moan?--

Tho' around me the crowd were surging,

I should stand by myself, alone.

.

Give me no heaving ocean,

Give me no wind-swept plain;

For there--is but time for brooding,

Nothing to heal the pain.

.

But give me the wide-spread forest,

With its hemlock, and beech, and pine,

With its ash, and its oak, and its maple,

And its ferns, and its mosses fine,

.

With its rocky glens and streamlets,

And the music of water-falls,

With its birds, and beasts, and flowers,

And its dreamy wild-wood calls.

.

Tho' I wander, alone, through the forest,

There are friends upon every hand:

Tried friends, who comfort and soothe me,

As they whisper "We understand."

Pam

No comments: