Thursday, January 08, 2009

Goodbye Old Friend




The last 24 hours have been spent nursing and saying goodbye to my 14 year old yellow lab named Sandy. It was a tough day, I can tell you, but it was time for him to go.

I had the vet come to the house to put him to sleep and with the help of her assistant, they made the passing comfortable and quiet. Sandy is no longer in pain.



A true friend and companion, Sandy will be missed by our family. Mostly, I will miss him because he was with me day and night since he was 5 weeks old.

Sandy had a stuffed animal fettish and would carry one wherever he went. He wanted his own pet and our 2 cats wouldn't appreciate being carried around. ;) We used to comb garage sales for his favourite toys, purple stuffed Barney dinosaurs. The yard used to look like a Barney cemetary. I used to think what a mother could say to their daughter when she asked, "Will my Barney go to Heaven?" The mother's reply should always be, "No, he'll go to Sandy's house."


Sandy's best friend was our cat named Dipstick. She loved him, gave him kisses, washed his ears and treated him like a huge kitten. Dipstick came to us from a farm and on her arrival, she walked in the door, gave Sandy a kiss and lay down on his dog bed. They were best freinds from that moment on. :)

Well, goodbye old friend, I won't forget you. PAM


No comments: