Saturday, December 12, 2009

The transition to OILS.

Last night I put away my acrylic palette and set up a new palette for oil painting. I will finish all the works-in-progress with oil paints.

You might wonder why the change. Yes, oil paints may take longer to dry, they are smellier in the original formula and I have to learn to use them properly, but I love the look, the sheen, and the transparency of oils. Used properly, oil paints can look like they glow on the canvas. My acrylic paintings are starting to look flat, boring and dull. I want luster, excitement and depth in my paintings. A tall order for a beginner in the medium.

I started with "Canada Goose" a half finished painting started in acrylics.
I then added the first layer of oil paint. The shoulder and tail section of the bird haven't been touched yet.
(The photo reads a little yellow due to photographing it at night.)


I love the way the oil paint stays wet and I can mix paint right on the canvas. Acrylics dry in seconds unless you use a retarder and then they take forever to dry. Acrylics also dry 30 percent darker, which means you must guess what colour they will be when they dry. Oil paints retain there original mixing colour allowing me to mix the exact colour I want.

I already feel completely comfortable using the oils. Sometimes, something just clicks when you are creating. I think that I am going in the right direction and I will give myself an adjustment period before deciding on a complete switch over to oils.

The xmas tree goes up tonight! :) I'm getting in the christmas spirit.

Pam

No comments: