Saturday, January 02, 2010

It's a New Year!

Well, the New Year's challenge begins today. Jan 2nd and the wind chill was -40 deg.C. last night.

I spent New Year's day pouring over instructional art videos on Oil Painting and learned a few tips that I can put into practice. You will see me switching between paintings as one painting becomes wet and has to dry for a couple of days. Oil paint doesn't dry fast like acrylics so I'll have to plan all my paintings ahead of deadlines now. :( I'm so used to pushing an upcoming deadline. Oh well, I LOVE the look of oil paints so there is no turning back.

Let's see, which one to work on first.

Hmmm.... I'll go and look and the prospects.

OK, so I put the first layer of oil onto a previously started "Copy a Master Challenge" acrylic painting. I am copying William Adolphe Bouguereau's painting of Gabrielle Cot.

Step 4 in acrylic to
























Step 5: First Layer of oil paints. The nose, mouth, and eyes still need a little repositioning. I was using a 1" hogs hair flat brush for the whole time tonight.

























A long way to go. Off to read a book. :) More tomorrow.

Pam

No comments: